[geos-devel] Odd problem on Vista

Artem Pavlenko artem.mapnik at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 16 17:33:49 EST 2008

Hi Sean,
On 16 Jan 2008, at 22:14, Sean Gillies wrote:

> I'm using Python's ctypes and libffi to access functions in GEOS.
> GEOSGeomToWKT and GEOSGeomToWKB_buf each allocate memory that must be
> freed by the caller. This has been no problem for me on Linux or
> Windows
> 2000, I simply free the memory with libc.free or msvcrt.free. There
> seems to be an authorization problem on Vista with the result that
> msvcrt.free cannot access the memory allocated by geos.dll. This is
> the
> DLL I got from Artem the other day. I'm thinking that the solution is
> for GEOS to export its own free function ala msFree in MapServer, yes?
>
> Sean

Could you check you're using the same C and C++ runtime for geos/
ctypes/libffi ( i.e. Multi-threaded DLL )
I think there is program called 'Dependency walker' or something on
win32. If your objects travel between DLL boundaries, make sure
new/delete malloc/free are from the same runtime.

HTH
Cheers
Artem