[geos-devel] Incubation Progress

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 14 13:48:26 EDT 2008

Folks,

I've just realized that I am in fact the OSGeo appointed incubation
mentor for the GEOS project.  I have been meaning to prompt for some progress
for a while, but this seems like a good time.

I see two main things that need to be done:

1) Setup project governance.  This will presumably amount to setting up a
Project Steering Committee responsible for approving commiters, approving
major technical changes - perhaps via an RFC process, and making other
major project decisions.  I would be willing to draft an "RFC 1" outlining
this, modelled on the one used by MapServer or GDAL if that would be helpful
(let me know).

One key issue is establishing the initial PSC.  As major stakeholders it
may be desirable to have Safe Software, Autodesk and Ingres represented.
I also assume that Paul will be on it (perhaps chairing?).  There are also
several other contributors that might be reasonable - mostly obviously Ben
Jubb who has done the recent work at Refractions.

2) Provenance Review.  This process is described at:

   http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/codereview.html

For GEOS I anticipate this mostly just being a bit tedious because of the
number of files to review, but likely not very hard since there have been
a limited number of contributors, and little use of outside code.  Is there
anyone willing to volunteer for this work?  I would be happy to provide
guideance and support.

Best regards,