[geos-devel] 3.1.0rc2

Hartmut Kaiser hartmut.kaiser at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 18:35:09 EST 2009

> The union bug seems to be longstanding. The old process also failed.
> It is a mystery to me why we can't produce pairwise failures though.

It might be, that you're seeing an error from unioning geometries being
intermediary results from preceding union operations. The cascaded union
algorithm doesn't 'grow' the result sequentially, but builds several
sub-geometries based on proximity criteria of the initial geometries and
'grows' those. As a result the sequence of pair-wise union operations is
completely different from the naïve union algorithm.

Regards Hartmut