[geos-devel] CPU buildup with repeated operations

thep t.burt at virgin.net
Sat Mar 7 05:30:39 EST 2009

Hi, am having a problem with a system built using GEOS, wondering if anyone
could help. Am using GEOS to generate sound and graphics from geom
operations in realtime. If I do a constant amount of work (e.g. roughly 150
binary operations per second)  then gradually my CPU usage builds up, until
after about 5 minutes, it becomes unusable. This is whilst carrying out the
same amount of operations.

Am using the C API on an Intel Core 2, can anyone think what this might be?
As far as I'm aware I'm destroying all objects after each set of operations,
but if I've missed one (and therefore have a constantly increasing number of
objects), does GEOS perform any housekeeping on created objects which could
cause this CPU buildup? The other thing I've considered is could it be an
Intel denormalization issue?

Any ideas I'd be really grateful.... Theo