[geos-devel] Benchmark between various geometry libraries

Maxime van Noppen maxime at altribe.org
Tue Nov 24 03:49:37 EST 2009

strk wrote:
> Well, a lot of these are likely unused places after all so I stop here :)

What might be interesting is to grep files that might contain
performance sensitive code in the list rather than iterating on all the
results.

> I think the correct way to proceed if we want to make GEOS any faster
> would be understanding what's making it slow in the first place.

Obviously. I'll try to make a debug build of geos and profile it with
valgrind.

> The Area() timing is interesting because it's obvious where the difference
> between GEOS and GGL is : coordinates access.

This sounds like the typical 'virtual' problem. As there is no static
bounding to a function at compile-time the compiler can't inline
functions (plus the small cost of virtual table lookup). I'll look in
that direction during my profiling session.

I will post any numbers I get.

--
Maxime