[geos-devel] GEOS FFI Ruby bindings

J Smith dark.panda+lists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 19:21:06 EST 2010

Howdy folks.

Well, Charlie Savage planted the idea in my mind, so I'm currently in
the process of re-writing the GEOS bindings for Ruby in Ruby using
FFI.

After a hack-fest last night, I've gotten the basics down, and am
writing a unit test suite that can be used to compare against the
current SWIG-based library. So far I've only implemented
CoordinateSequence, WktReader, a couple of utility functions and the
various constants defined in the Geos module along with the very
basics of Geometry and the geometry classes that derive from it (i.e.
Point, LineString, etc.) and am currently messing around with the
callbacks to initGEOS to handle errors properly.

The goal is gonna be feature and functional parity with the existing
library and from there... well, who knows. At least it will hopefully
be easier for people to start hacking with.

I don't have a timeline on this yet, but I'd like to hopefully have
something up on github Real Soon Now for some collaboration. It's
coming along pretty quickly so I hope to put a couple more hours in
tonight and wrap up a lot of stuff and then we'll go from there.

Cheers and more to come.