[geos-devel] Another GEOS Ruby Library

J Smith dark.panda+lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 18:50:17 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Charlie Savage <cfis at savagexi.com> wrote:
> Just noticed this, RGeo:
>
> http://www.daniel-azuma.com/blog/archives/28
>
> J - worth pinging them?

Yeah, I noticed that last night when I saw that someone else added
themselves to the github watch list on ffi-geos. I just dropped a line
to the author to see if there's any opportunities for
cross-pollination. It looks like RGeo is using some custom C-based
wrappers for GEOS, so this might be an interesting place to use
ffi-geos as the library interface and keep everything in Ruby versus
partial user-land, partial native-land.

As an aside and along those lines, I just confirmed that ffi-geos
works in JRuby, so cross-platformed-ness here we come! Now maybe I'll
try my hand at Rubinius... I think I'm going to give ffi-proj4 a go,
too, just to round out the tool kit. Then we'd really be cooking with
fire, eh?

Cheers