[geos-devel] Is there a license problem to use GEOS in iPhone App?

David Turner novalis at novalis.org
Tue Jun 1 09:27:05 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 17:08 +0900, OHTSUKA Ko-hei wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to use GEOS in iPhone App, as base of spatialite library.
> But GEOS is LGPL License, and Apple forces all Applications must be
> made as Static linked binary.
>
> Is there any way to use GEOS in iPhone App?

The LGPL doesn't forbid static linking -- it just requires that you
provide a relinkable version.  Basically, if you provide the .o files
and makefiles for your proprietary app, and the source code for GEOS,
then users can change the library and rebuild your app.

However, you're going to have a *different* problem:
http://www.fsf.org/news/2010-05-app-store-compliance/