[geos-devel] Re: SWIG Ruby bindings on OS X

Ramie Blatt rblatt at warmlyyours.com
Thu Jun 3 13:38:16 EDT 2010

Hi there, I came across this post and thought I'd share my experiences. This
may be out of date, but here's the last crucial step I took to get it
working:

On Mac OS you need to rename the "geos.so" file in the ruby extension/plugin
directory to "geos.bundle". When you do the ./configure step above it will
display what your system's ruby extension directory is. You will need to
scroll up through the output to find the line: "Ruby extension directory is
'XYZ'. So, for e.g., if your ruby extension directory is
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i686-darwin8.10.1/ then do the following:

 cd /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i686-darwin8.10.1/
 mv geos.so geos.bundle

Confirm correct installation by requiring GEOS in irb, you should have the
result "true":

 irb
 irb(main):001:0> require 'geos'
 => true