[geos-devel] use of STRtree functions in C API

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Tue May 4 10:00:49 EDT 2010

Roger,

I would suggest at least investigating libspatialindex, which is an R* tree (and linear and quadratic splitting as well) implementation that is much more featureful than the unexposed internal indexing of GEOS.  I have just added a C API (GDAL or GEOS-style, it's a total rip-off of them) to libspatialindex, to allow users to do the basics like insertion and querying quite easily.  Additionally, with libspatialindex, you have the option of storing your index on disk and bulk loading (pre-sorting for much faster insert performance) the index.

http://trac.gispython.org/spatialindex/wiki

Howard

PS, if you are in the Python world, you can use the Shapely (GEOS wrapper) and Rtree (libspatialindex wrapper) combination to do all kinds of magic quite painlessly.