[geos-devel] WKT / WKB Writer Output Dimension

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue May 25 14:55:26 EDT 2010

Folks,

Currently the WKBWriter supports writing 2D (default) or 3D (by calling
setOutputDimension(3)).  I would like to extend this to support setting
the output dimension to a special value (-1 or 0 perhaps) indicating that
the output dimension of the WKB should be determined from the input geometry.

More importantly, I'd like to extend the WKTWriter to support writing 3D
geometries, adding a setOutputDimension() method like on the WKBWriter.

For the WKT writer I will support at least the new style WKT "POINT Z (1 2 3)"
and possibly support the old approach "POINT (1 2 3)" as an option.  Some
discussion of this will be at:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/292

I hope by leaving the defaults as the current behavior the changes should
be non-disruptive but with substantial capability.

Any suggestions or objections?

Best regards,