[geos-devel] Moving to github

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Sep 20 09:51:37 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 08:48:03AM -0500, Howard Butler wrote:

> OpenLayers is working on getting git+Trac working on the OSGeo
> instance. We could do that too when things become available, and I do
> not have a strong opinion either way. github's pull requests are a killer
> feature though.

I stay away from that "feature" as it looks more like a trap to me.
"pull request" is nothing more than a formal request. You could obtain
the same effect by requesting the pull on a mailing list, irc or any
other mean.

Btw, take a look at git-request-pull(1) if you want to save time in
writing the text of such a request.

The killer feature of distributed version control systems is that, well,
they are _distributed_. Relying too much on a centralized service (like
github) goes against the intent ...