[geos-devel] MakeValid in GEOS/JTS ?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Sep 28 11:15:27 EDT 2011

Martin, I've heard you've been considering adding a MakeValid-like
routine to JTS. When asked to port it from postgis to GEOS I've been
recluctant to avoid diverging too much from JTS, so I'm interested
in knowing if you really plan to do that and how.

In particular the PostGIS MakeValid attempts to also fix 1-point
lines and non-closed polygon rings, which would be impossible in
GEOS/JTS due to early catch of such malformities. I'm concerned
that allowing those constructions would open up a can of worms
all over the codebase being full of assumptions about that level
of validity.

So, questions in order are:
 1) Are you planning to provide a function capable to fix all the
    cases that the PostGIS MakeValid fixes ?
 2) What is the estimated time by which it would be released ?

TIA