[geos-devel] Gsoc 2013

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Mar 29 05:42:10 PDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 04:09:17PM +0530, vishal tiwari wrote:
> hey Sandro, thanks for replying. I want to know details of the project. The
> ideas page of GEOS talks very less about it. I want to know what exactly
> needs to be done in the project that is proposed.

Figuring it out is part of the project :)

> From the statement what i have understood is, that we have to port the
> classes of Voronoi functionality from JTS to GEOS. JTS are java API, and we
> need to port it to c++ classes. I want some guidance on how java classes
> can be ported to C++.

The last port has been for the Delaunay triangulation, you could start to
see how that was done. There's a git mirror of the codebase on github if
you're more comfortable with that (offline history helps).

The main problem you'll have to deal with is memory management:
the Java version relies on automatic garbage collection while in GEOS we
have to do that manually (no refcounting, no reachable graphs).

It's usefu to start by looking at what's missing.
The GEOS codebase organization reflects the JTS one pretty closely.