[geos-devel] Aggregate on attribute

Paul Meems bontepaarden at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 02:15:52 PST 2014

Hi List,

We use with MapWinGIS (C++ ActiveX control) GDAL with GEOS.

We currently have a custom AggregateShapefile method which is not using
GEOS.
In this method we aggregate (union) all shapes based on an attribute. This
method is not working 100% and I'm wondering if GEOS has something similar.

For example I have the counties shapefile of the USA. I want to aggregate
all counties that are in the same state.
I know of the Union method in GEOS, but that doesn't takes into account the
attribute and in this example will result in a shapefile with 1 shape
instead of a shape for each state.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

 *Paul Meems *
Release manager, configuration manager
and forum moderator of MapWindow GIS.
www.mapwindow.org

Owner of MapWindow.nl - Support for
Dutch speaking users.
www.mapwindow.nl

*Join us at the MapWindow GIS Conference 2014
<http://geogis.detek.unideb.hu/TKonferencia/2014/>, in Debrecen Hungary*