[geos-devel] Extent-limited graph building ?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Sep 19 05:46:52 PDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 12:56:20PM +0200, Rémi Cura wrote:
> Hello Sandro,
> out of curiosity (I know very little of Geos),
> Isn't waht you are doing equivalent to using an acceleration structure,
> and wouldn't be the job of the database.
> (ie : why parse a 250k  myultipolygon, and not 250k simple polygon?).

Yes Rémi, it's much better to keep those polygons as 250k simple
polygons in terms of retrival and processing speed.

Another use case: a polygon with 250k holes intersected with another
with the same structure. Also in this case it would be better to split
the polygon into multiple smaller ones, but it's a bit harder to do,
and requires invoking the intersection again (for the split).

--strk;

 ()  ASCII ribbon campaign  --  Keep it simple !
 /\  http://strk.keybit.net/rants/ascii_mails.txt