[geotk] advice re. surface interpolation?

colin c colincombe at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 25 05:52:07 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am looking into possible GIS tools for geologists based on Free Open
Source Software. The alternatives I am considering are GRASS and geotoolkit.
Grass appears to have the advantage because:
 - 3d rendering is working
 - surface interpolation is already part of GRASS.

I have seen what Johann Sorel has been doing re. using the 3D renderer
from WorldWind
with geotoolkit<http://forum.worldwindcentral.com/showthread.php?p=80151http://forum.worldwindcentral.com/showthread.php?p=80151>
.

Am i right to think geotoolkit does not contain its own tools for surface
interpolation and this functionality would need to be integrated from
elsewhere? Possible sources might be CGAL, GRASS or R?

I think I am imagining something which combines PuzzleGIS with (command
line?) functions from GRASS, similar to the way
JGRASS<http://udig.refractions.net/gallery/jgrass/>combines uDig with
functionality from GRASS to create a bespoke tool for
hydrologists.

Any advice much appreciated,
Regards,
Colin