[Graphics] Re: Updates and feedback on GIS icon theme

Robert Szczepanek robert at szczepanek.pl
Tue Nov 10 14:58:30 EST 2009

Hi Tim,

First of all thank you very much for detailed notes from your hackfest
discussion. I had some problems with my network and missed this part of
video online.

> Since we just finished the hackfest, I promised Anita that I would
> write to Robert to discuss the GIS icon theme. I am writing on the dev
> mailing list for transparency and so that others may add their input
> to the discussion.
Let me forward this post also to OSGeo Graphics ML.

> - people who were already familiar with the old theme had to relearn
> to recognise the GIS theme icons so its easier just to not switch
This is natural.

> - the contrast in the GIS theme icons is quite low so your brain has
> to do more work to figure out the important elements of each icon
Agree. It was my intention to focus first on metaphors. If they are
recognizable, next step is to add colors.
Probably original Tango palette will be solution for better contrast. We
need however some rules for colors. I.e. yellow for selection. In this
case copyright icon must change.

> - some of the icons contain concepts that are not recognisable – they
> dont provide any or enough visual clue as to what their function is
> (e.g. spatial bookmarks, add vector)
Here we can discuss.
In spatial bookmarks we define region to display, so natural for me was
to show region. And as bookmark I used tab. Book is good, but there is
no relation with space. What if there will be in program other
(non-spatial) bookmark.
Vector metaphor has shape of "V" letter, so once explained it's easy to
remember. If used only in this context there is no risk to mix it up
with eg. (poli)line feature. I tested many options including Anita's
semi-transparency. They are much nicer, but you can mix them up with eg.
polygon.

> - Some of the icons break with existing user interface memes for
> example using a hand icon for a pan button and a four direction arrow
> to indicate that something can be moved.
Hand was too difficult to draw. That was my problem :)
Move icon is another case. Let's look at Anita's 'move vertex' icon. And
forget about colors (daltonism). We get 'add vertex'. That was the reason.

> We would really like to have a consistent icon theme in QGIS 2.0 so
> Anita has started a revision of the icons to try to address some of
> these issues. We will use this posting as a starting point for a
> discussion with Robert Szczepanek (the original authoer of the GIS
> theme) and try to work with him to pass our changes upstream where he
> is agreeable. You can see an example of the original icon theme from
> Robert (first image below) and the updates from Anita (second image
> below).
>
> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2448/4090679952_d355874a67.jpg
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38241992@N06/4090679956/
> "
> Anita has been doing great work but obviously we would like to avoid a
> situation where we create a fork of your icons or duplicate the
> effort. At the same time we are sensitive to the fact that you or
> other downstream projects may not like the direction we plan to take -
> our changes meet our needs but may not meet the needs of other
> projects.
My first goal is to implement those icons in GIS projects, so if you
have any ideas how to improve - we can do it. That is why I wanted to
run 'graphics' mailing list. For this type of discussion between
projects. I'm not emotionally related with those icons ... maybe a
little bit ;) But I appreciate and always consider comments from
projects interested in implementation.
"Somewhere must exist common visual language, maybe even not the most
beautiful one ..."
English isn't as beautiful as polish, but still is universal and we all
use is ;) Better or worse.

> Thus this email is really to sound you (Robert) out on whether you
> would be willing to accept the updates that Anita will be working on
> and if so the best way to go about filtering this work up to you. Also
> if you have any other hints or comments on how to make the process of
> us (well Anita mainly) updating your icons in such a way that the
> changes will be broadly interesting to other projects, we would love
> to hear it.
>
> Best regards
>
> Tim

I think the best process at the moment is:
- public discussion at graphics mailing list (welcome Anita),
- any feedback and comments on QGIS lists is also important,
- subsequent improvement of existing icons and creation of new ones
Radical changes, in any direction, should be done with care.
We should coordinate efforts with Anita and work on vectors, not raster
renders. I just wonder why you didn't contact me before, to get source
SVG files. Changes would be much easier ...

Thanks Tim for you activity!
Robert