[Graphics] Graphics wiki (was: Geosilk icons)

Rolando Peñate rpenate at opengeo.org
Thu Nov 12 12:30:41 EST 2009

On Nov 5, 2009, at 5:40 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 5:59 AM, Robert Szczepanek <robert at szczepanek.pl
> > wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> That's good idea Jody to create wiki. There are so many valuable
>> resources! Your Rolando 'other resources' list can be good start
>> point.
>
> <snip />
>
> It is not clear to me if the uDig icon set and geosilk will be other
> resources; or part of what the graphics list mandated? I did sign up
> to this list to collaborate ....

I didn't expect to be 'mandating' anything, more just making sure
there's common awareness around basic concepts and metaphors. I could
be mistaken, but I was under the impression every icon set was just
another resource for a potential developer/designer to choose from
based on their needs. Robert's set, for example, is a clear choice for
desktop apps but GeoSilk (with its small icons and basis in Silk) is
specifically targeted at web-based interfaces.

>> I'm not very experienced in wiki page creation, so your help is
>> welcome.
>> I have created just starting point at
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Graphics
>
> Thanks for starting out.
>
>> In which direction in your opinion wiki should go:
>> 1. just link to resources, or
>
> We need a link; or better yet a comparison; and then we need a section
> on core abstractions... As you can see GeSilk and uDig use the same
> core abstractions for web map server (a server with a map). Each has
> adjusted the core abstraction to match their icons sets representation
> of server.

>> 2. put tables with sample (from different themes/projects) graphics
>> (like
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_map_symbol_set#Symbol_Availability
>> and
>> http://www.szczepanek.pl/icons.grass/v.0.1/)
>>
>> Second option can be difficult to handle, but just showing few sample
>> graphics can be interesting.
>
> Showing  a few sample graphics would really help communicate with the
> projects are about.

+1 (a canonical list of basic concepts with comparisons from each
major set seems like a reasonable start if our goal is to align on
metaphors)

>> <snip />

—Rolando