[GRASS-ABM] Which language to ABM with GRASS

chris carleton w_chris_carleton at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 11 00:45:02 EST 2009

Hi All,

I just joined this list and wish that I knew about it earlier. I'm a grad student in archaeology and my research involves GIS, ABM, and analytical mathematical models. I have, for a while now, been considering trying to create ABMs that use a GIS - like GRASS - in order to simulate environments for agents. Is there anything anyone can suggest in the way of reading or other media that will help to get me started on the specifics dealing with integrating GRASS and ABMs? Is anyone on this list making use of Python and C instead of a Java based language for their simulations? I would prefer to use C or Python, which is why I'm asking. The kind of modeling I want to do would require that the simulation be able to access raster maps and affect changes to those maps as part of the output for analysis. Any help or general advice is greatly appreciated - this message, I suppose, is as much an introduction for myself as anything else so.... "Hello GRASS-ABM World".

Chris