grass4.0 performance

Peter Daugherty pjd at bears.ssl.berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 20 13:18:39 EDT 1992

Dear grass community,

	I recently had a discussion with a self-pronounced GIS expert, who
made some quite disparaging remarks in regard to the performance and quality
of algorithms used in grass.  He views grass as a "toy" gis.  You need not
convince me, as I like the concept and implementation of grass, particularly
the support community of researchers.  However, I would like to be better
able to evaluate / respond to such criticism.  Are the any benchmark test
documentation, or like documentation I could read to better understand the
pros and cons of various systems.  I am currently at UCBerkeley, but will
soon be at another institution where I will have to justify my preference for
grass.  Thanks in advance.

P. J. Daugherty
Department of Forestry and Resource Management
145 Mulford Hall
University of CA
Berkeley, CA 94720
(510) 642-8233 -- office