problems with grass 4.0 main shell driver and g.help for SGI

Alan Grant Finlay alanf at bruce.cs.monash.edu.au
Thu May 7 22:05:55 EDT 1992

Has anyone had problems similar to the following after compiling grass 4.0
for silicon graphics iris (4d) workstations running under NeWS?

1) The grass driver program automatically calls g.help .

2) g.help misbehaves.  It will only accept <line-feed> to move the selection
   down instead of <return>.  After exit it leaves an empty window which
   ignores all keyboard input except a control-C.  All control-C does is
   display a shell prompt and doesn't break out of the loop.  A we have
   tried implementing a suggestion to move the Get_old_tty() call in menu.c
   and this worked for a while but now after a full recompilation of grass
   the problem has come back again.  I have tried using the original menu.c
   and it didn't change anything.

Can anyone explain how the main driver shell GIS.sh works, I want
to try and understand why it is automatically calling g.help.

	Alan.