rotating a vector grid

Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Tue May 26 21:00:04 EDT 1992

My current GRASS project requires a vector grid as input (v.mkgrid).
After doing some further reading, it seems that potential users may
want a rotated grid. It also seems like v.transform may be able to do
this (with a little more work on the users part).

Should I:
1. code a v.rotate command (which would only require a vector map,
   an origin, and an angle as input),
2. add an angle option to v.mkgrid & rotate about (coordinate=x,y)
   [Easy for user], or
3. require the user to do a little more work and use v.transform
   [Easy for programmer :-)]?

Final note: as a check, I need to make sure that the vector grid
input to my program actually defines a rectangular (possibly
rotated) grid---output from v.transform with unacceptable RMS
could potentially throw a monkey wrench into things. Comments?
--Darrell