Bugs in xdigit (and fixes)

David M Johnson -- DMJ Consulting djohnson at rock.concert.net
Thu Jun 17 15:29:17 EDT 1993

BUGS IN XDIGIT

I discovered the following bugs (or "incompatibilities")
when I compiled and ran XGRASS 4.1 and xdigit under Dell
UNIX 2.2, X11R5 and Motif 1.1.4 on a Dell 466ME system.
The bug has been reported to grassbug at zorro.cecer.army.mil.

xdigit crashes and dumped core immediately after being
called from the command line.  I traced this to the function
make_button() in src/xgrass/xdigit/panel.c.  The crash was
occuring because the function did not check to make sure
that it had successfully retrieved a pixmap before going
ahead and using the pixmap.  I added an if-statement
(as follows) to fix this crash:

if (pix1 != XmUNSPECIFIED_PIXMAP) /*DMJ*/
  {
  XtSetArg (wargs[n], XmNlabelType, XmPIXMAP); n++;
  XtSetArg (wargs[n], XmNlabelPixmap, pix1); n++;
  XtSetArg (wargs[n], XmNlabelInsensitivePixmap, pix1); n++;
  }

This prevented the crash, but once xdigit came up its button
pixmaps were all screwed up.  I traced this problem to the function
make_pixmaps() in the file src/xgrass/xdigit/make_pixmaps.c.
Apparently, the Xlib functions BitmapBitOrder() and ImageByteOrder()
work differently under Dell UNIX than on the xdigit development
system (a Sun, I assume).  I commented out the "!" operators
(as follows) and this problem was solved:

image->bitmap_bit_order = /*DMJ ! */BitmapBitOrder (XtDisplay (w));
image->byte_order = /*DMJ ! */ImageByteOrder (XtDisplay (w));