Site data structure/pgms

Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Fri Sep 3 17:16:57 EDT 1993

Craig Anderson (caa at noaacrd.Colorado.EDU) writes on 3 Sep 93:
>	Firstly, I am not a programmer, a hacker perhaps, but not a
>programmer.

never too late to learn :-)
(seriously, I learned C in 8 weeks of self-study-just takes discipline).

>he thought that there was a lack of a standard parsing routine which would
>complicate further developments with respect to site data routines.

Though standardization or tightening the definition of the description
field would have to be done by OGI, we (hackers/programmers/users)
can get started on a lot of this stuff done now.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT WE KEEP A RUNNING LIST, PERHAPS PRIORITIZED,
OF PROGRAMS THAT WOULD MAKE LIFE BETTER, sort of like what you
presented. Maybe something that is posted and refined every two-three
weeks on grassp.

Sort of a consensus "wish list for site support" (maybe this could be
the subject line).

>		d.what.sites

   I assume that you mean something to print the coord + description
   when clicked by the mouse. Implementation would be pretty easy -
   just do a search to find the nearest site from the clicked-coord.
   This search could be speeded up by using quadtrees.

>		s.reclass

   I'm not sure what this means... I assume it has to do with the
   "category" concept.

>		s.stats

   This is a category that I am very interested in.

   See s.univar on pasture.ecn.purdue.edu:pub/mccauley/grass
   Are there other types of univariate statistics that users need?

   Semivariance analysis is progressing slowly (ask me if you want
   to be a beta tester).

   A lot of stuff is "planned" from Ch. 8 of Cressie's book.

   So, to summarize, we have: (1) s.univar and (2) s.semivar.
   What else is needed?

>		s.to.rast (improved version)
>	        ps.map (with multiple panel print option)
>                d.sites (with option to display labels on monitor)

   agreed - I've never been happy with the label-type programs.

>		s.mask.what (creates a file of points in an unmasked region)

   If you're talking about a square mask, just set your region
   accordingly and this functionality already exists (but you could
   contribute a shell script to "put it under one roof"):

   s.out.ascii -d jed | sort > tmp.1
   s.out.ascii -ad granny | sort > tmp.2
   comm -23 tmp.1 tmp.2 | s.in.ascii jethro

--Darrell