DEC Alpha port?

Kenn Gardels (CEDR-REGIS) gardels at ced.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 10 12:48:47 EDT 1993

> I'm trying to compile GRASS on a DEC Alpha.  It's dying in libes/gis
> with the following line:
> cc -O -DGETHOSTNAME_OK -I/people/research/grass/g4.1/src/include  -c
>  line_dist.c
> libmld--as1: Error: line_dist.c, line 49: .mask must have pcreg from
>  .frame set if any bits are set in .mask or .fmask
> *** Exit 1
>
> For my LIBRULE, I'm using:
> LIBRULE             = ar ruv $@ $?; ranlib $@
>
> Has anyone seen this, or does anyone have a header file froma
> ALPHA port they would be willing to share?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Neel Smith
> nsmith at polar.bowdoin.edu
My local guru tells me "this is a compiler bug".  I have heard other complaints
about the OSF/1 1.2 compiler.  I used gcc instead and had no problems.  gcc is
on the "freeware" disk that DEC ships with the alphas, or you can get it off
the net at gatekeeper.dec.com.

There are some additional gotchas in the compile process, with font handling
and with some display libes.  I have someone working on solving these
right now, so let us know how you do, and I'll post what I learn.

-kenn