Tektronix Phaser 200e and GRASS4.1

Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Mon Sep 13 17:29:56 EDT 1993

"S. E. Walker" (guernsey at holstein.age.uiuc.edu) writes on 13 Sep 93:
>	I want to print GRASS4.1 maps to our Tektronix 200e.
>I'm assuming I either have to write a driver or find
>someone willing to share theirs.  If it matters, we use a SUN
>sparc 2 and run the printer from our local network.  Any

yes, it may matter, if Tek has written NeWSprint software.
Basically, this allows any printer to act like a PostScript
printer.

For example, when I was at A&M, they bought a Calcomp color printer.
We had code for a p.map driver, but we found NeWSprint to be a much
better solution (I seem to recall that they shipped us a floppy on
request).  Not only could we print GRASS maps, but we could print
color output from many other color programs (e.g., dvips, FrameMaker).
(BTW, then we convert ppm output from p.map to Sun raster, used
'touchup' for annotations/prettying-it-up, and converted to ps using
pbmplus - I haven't tried ps.map yet)

Also, if a driver doesn't already exist, NeWSprint is a cheaper
solution. It may take a programmer a week or two to write/debug a
driver (depending) and most universities should be able to get
NeWSprint for a few hundred (US) smakeroos.

--Darrell

James Darrell McCauley, Purdue Univ, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1146, USA
mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu, mccauley%ecn at purccvm.bitnet, pur-ee!mccauley
*** avail. for full time employment 9/94-inquiries welcome (no hh, plz) ***

P.S., for others in-the-know, what happens to NeWSprint
w.r.t. COSE? Since I'm no longer a sys admin, I don't follow
these things too closely.