GRASS DEMO QUESTIONS

Shen Lu slu at titania.rutgers.edu
Fri Sep 17 10:41:46 EDT 1993

Dear netters:

     We just finished installing GRASS4.1 on our SGI INDIGO
     workstation.
     We followed the instructions in the installation guide
     but, we instead use grass user to install, we installed
     as root.

     After 5 hours of compiling time, we were all pumped up
     to see what grass can do for us.

     WE have the following directory setup:
     $GIS:  /usersk/GRASS/source
     $GISDBASE: /usersk/GRASS/data
       (under /usersk/GRASS/data, is spearfish/PERMANENT)

      We typed grass4.1, it gives us a screen based interface and
      asks:
   LOCATION:

    MAPSET:

    DATABASE:

      we put the following:
      LOCATION:  PERMANENT
      MAPSET:    dlg
      DATABASE:/usersk/GRASS/data/spearfish

     The program returns and says: you have not access to any of the
mapsets.

     What should be the correct input to the above blanks?
     We must have done something wrong and as we do know where to
     get a starter's tutorials, we would like to ask for your
     help.

     Thanks in advance .

     reply to : slu at titania.rutgers.edu