Compilation error for Solaris 2.3

Grass package grass at sun1.bham.ac.uk
Wed Oct 5 09:59:48 EDT 1994

Following the instructions in the grass4.1 installation manual, I managed
as far as section 7.6, where the actual compilation starts. After a few
minutes, my GISGEN script returns the following error message and halts:

gets.c: In function `G_gets':
gets.c:43: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
gets.c:44: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
gets.c: At top level:
gets.c:62: warning: `catch_ctrlz' was declared `extern' and later `static'
gets.c:78: warning: `catch_int' was declared `extern' and later `static'
histogram.c:276: warning: `cmp' was declared `extern' and later `static'
histogram.c:303: warning: `cmp_count' was declared `extern' and later `static'
histogram.c:319: warning: static declaration for `fopen_histogram_new' follows non-static
intr_char.c: In function `G_intr_char':
intr_char.c:17: storage size of `buf' isn't known
intr_char.c:19: `TIOCGETC' undeclared (first use this function)
intr_char.c:19: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
intr_char.c:19: for each function it appears in.)
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `OBJ.sun4/intr_char.o'

Apparently this is important code, because skipping this step in the GISGEN
script leads to repeated errors stating that `libgis.a' doesn't exist....

Can anyone tell me what to do next? This is the first time I've tried
compiling anything this size.

Martijn van Leusen