non-FIFO monitor?

Peter Mikes mikes at angmar.llnl.gov
Mon Oct 31 12:18:50 EST 1994

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil Thu Oct 27 15:50 PDT 1994
Subject: non-FIFO monitor?
Sender: grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil
Sender: grass-lists-owner at moon.cecer.army.mil.
To: grassp-list at max.cecer.army.mil (GRASS Programmers)

I vaguely recall someone announcing, awhile back, that they
had developed a monitor patch that doesn't use FIFOs, but rather
uses more standard XWindows methods.  Looking back in my archives,
though, I don't see the information.  Does anyone have the details?
Does the thing work?  Well?

Tim.

----- End Included Message -----
response:
 Yes. It works - it is particularly useful on Solaris, which is
 pianfuly slow with FIFOs.  It is on he moon -- get MessQ.README
 Even with that Message Queue, grass monitor has X-driver added as
 one of the later options. An alternative, which may not be backwards
 compatible, but faster and ,ore ineractive (more clickable) would be
 useful (IMHO) . I asked about that few weeks and one reply I got was
 Tclgrass (now in alpha test). That will be great BUT it is just a new
 front end to exisiting monitor. That is not it. There is another program,
 written by an independednt developer, which was written from fresh start,
  -- it was mentioned on the list once, some six month ago, but I lost the
 reference to it - and no one knows about it now (may be it was vaporvare?)
  In any case, a new fresh, simple X-only, clickable zoom&pan and layer
 selection) display for grass looks to me like a worthwhile project.
    Peter Mikes pom at llnl.gov