Compile problems for GRASS on SUN4d

Anthony Bizos 107BIZ at witsvma.wits.ac.za
Thu Sep 1 12:03:55 EDT 1994

My name is Anthony Bizos and I am a post grad at the University of the Witwaters
rand in the Republic of South Africa. For the last six months I have atte
 to compile GRASS4.1 on out new SUN4d SS2000 system.
The machine is new and our sys admin staff are still tring to get a feel
t.
We have tried everything we know, but no go. Every time we run setup we g
following errors. ( note the ty multiple definition later on )

TERMLIB = -ltermlib

Specify the curses library.

CURSES [-lcurses] :  -

Please prefix the library with -l

CURSES [-l] : -l

Checking -l. Please watch for any errors
ld: fatal: library -l-ltermlib: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors.  No output written to /tmp/25810

Any problems? yes
CURSES [-l] : -lc

Checking -lc. Please watch for any errors
_tty                                curses.o
_pfast                              curses.o
_echoit                             curses.o
_tty_ch                             curses.o

Check complete

when we ignore the error and force a compile the following errors occur. Note: t
hat the error seems to originate from the tty definition i.e. somewhere i
rses, we think
We kept forcing the compiler even when it crashed in the desperate hope t
 would sort themselves out / become clearer.
This did not happen, the same errors kept popping up.
ERRORS FROM FORCED COMPILE (not in order of occurance except for tty errors whic
h  always happens first )

ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to a.out
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `/scratch/107biz/grass4.1/grass/etc
GISGEN failure at STEP: src/mapdev/v.transform

"draw_slice.c", line 8: warning: dubious tag declaration: struct Colors
"draw_slice.c", line 21: warning: dubious tag declaration: struct Colors
"draw_slice.c", line 34: warning: dubious tag declaration: struct Colors

"rgb.c", line 33: warning: semantics of "/" change in ANSI C; use explicit cast
"rgb.c", line 42: warning: semantics of "/" change in ANSI C; use explicit cast
"rgb.c", line 51: warning: semantics of "/" change in ANSI C; use explicit cast

"draw_scale.c", line 46: warning: improper pointer/integer combination: op "="

"signature.c", line 87: warning: assignment type mismatch

ld: warning: symbol `openfiles' has differing types:
        (file OBJ/openfiles.o type=FUNC; file /usr/lib/libnsl.so type=OBJT);
        OBJ/openfiles.o definition taken

ld: fatal: symbol `Def_term' is multiply defined:
        (file /usr/ucblib/libcurses.a(curses.o) and file /usr/ccs/lib/libtermlib
ld: warning: symbol `ttytype' has differing sizes:
        (file /usr/ucblib/libcurses.a(curses.o) value=0x32; file /usr/ccs/lib/li
        /usr/ccs/lib/libtermlib.a(setupterm.o) definition taken
ld: fatal: File processing errors.  No output written to a.out
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `/scratch/107biz/grass4.1/grass/etc

"gorun.c", line 28: warning: assignment type mismatch
"gorun.c", line 36: warning: assignment type mismatch
"gorun.c", line 37: warning: assignment type mismatch
mv gorun.o OBJ/gorun.o
mv withinthresh.o OBJ/withinthresh.o
rm -f a.out /scratch/107biz/grass4.1/grass/etc/bin/main/inter/v.digit

 We cannot progress further with our current skill base. Anyone who can
and is willing to help, please e-mail me at 107biz at witsvma.wits.ac.za

 anticipating your reply

Anthony Bizos

P.S. aplogies for the long posting
P.P.S. we have both cc and gcc if thats any help. Our have been cc
since gcc does strange things