grass hardcopy output

James Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Tue Apr 4 08:00:00 EDT 1995

Malcolm Williamson (malcolm at cast.uark.edu) writes on  4 April 1995:
>Darrell McCauley writes:
 [...]
>> TeX).  So, the product of this rambling is v.out.mif, an awk
>> script to convert dig_ascii to Maker Interchange Format.
>>
>>   ftp://moon.cecer.army.mil/grass/incoming/v.to.mif
>>
>> If someone writes something for raster data, we could probably
>> piece together a MIF driver for p.map pretty easily.

FWIW, the following work nicely:
  r.out.ppm i=landuse o=- | ppmtopict > /tmp/landuse.pict
  /usr/frame/bin/picttomif /tmp/landuse.pict landuse.mif

>Although this is probably a pretty fair approach for smaller, low resolution
>maps, I have a feeling that FrameMaker might not be happy if it had to deal
>with very large raster images. I've toyed with the idea of writing a crude

probably true. I just tried a ~2000 x ~2000 image and Frame would not
show me colors (just a gray box).

>point-and-click front end for ps.map, but haven't found the time :(. By the wa
>we have been producing some really nice (if I must say so myself!) hardcopy wi
th
>ps.map, using some extra little tricks, like:
 [...]
>With a little help, ps.map can be a good program.

I didn't mean to dis ps.map (hope it wasn't read that way).
However, for labelling road maps, a pointy-clicky approach
is a lot easier.

Darrell
--
James Darrell McCauley, PhD        http://soils.ecn.purdue.edu/~mccauley/
Dept of Agricultural Engineering   mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Purdue University                  tel: 317.494.1198 fax: 317.496.1115