A quick, dumb, question

Dave Mandel dmandel at dragon.aseTT.com
Sat Jan 28 20:07:47 EST 1995

On Fri, 6 Jan 1995, Tim Martin wrote:

> I have a huge (24Mb) tar.Z file of GRASS binaries for the RS6000.
> I'd like to cut it into more manageable pieces, and put it on my
> ftp site, since there seems to be some interest in AIX binaries
> occasionally.  My question: how shall I split a binary file into
> chunks?  The split command works for text files, line by line,
> so (I assume) it won't work.  I know I've done this before,
> but I can't remember how.
>
> Tim.

Tim,

    A lot of people have and use a slightly modified version of split,
usually called bsplit which chunks binary files.  This command is very
useful and I suggest you get a copy.  Bureacratic rules make it difficult
for me to send you my AIX binary, but it shouldn't be hard to find.  In
fact, it is included on the cd with O'Reilley and Associates book, Unix
Power Tools.

                                                Happy Grassing,
                                                David Mandel
                                                dmandel at asett.com