[GRASS5] Re: license issues

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at uwm.edu
Thu Nov 25 21:18:52 EST 1999

On Thu, Nov 25, 1999 at 02:13:12AM -0800, Russell Senior wrote:

> Bernhard> AFAIK the GPL allows linking with other truely free software
> Bernhard> packages.
>
> BTW, had you noticed the problematic inclusion of the `Numerical
> Recipes' code in the now-GPL'd GRASS v5.0b4?  Grep for `Cambridge
> University Press' and take a look at the conditions.

I am forwarding this to the development list, assuming that I have your
permission. :)

We will have to look into it than, I guess. We might have more licensing
problems in the code. This not the fault of the current development crew
which has a hard time to dig through the massive code base anyway.

Another thing is, that if the US governmental institutions were actually
distribution some of that code you are talking about, it was
released into the public domain.  Former licensing terms were invalid
in handing it over to the this governmental institution, if I got that
all correct.

	Bernhard
--
Research Assistant, Geog Dept UM-Milwaukee, USA.  (www.uwm.edu/~bernhard)
Free Software Projects and Consulting 		         (intevation.net)