[GRASS5] LZW in Grass

Luca Palmeri lpalmeri at ux1.unipd.it
Tue Nov 9 12:21:47 EST 1999

Morten Hulden wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Are there any plans to replace the lzw compression algorithm in Grass with
> something that is not patented?
>
> Since Grass is a free software product, users publishing maps and graphics
> and announcing they were made in Grass may risk to receive a $5000 bill
> from Unisys, who owns the patent to LZW. Or am I just paranoid ...
>
> Morten Hulden

I do not think you are paranoid. The problem is at least real. Just in case
on http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html there is a deep discussion on
this topic and pointers to alternative free compression algorithms.
But I also think that due to its diffusion it will be difficult to get rid of
LZW.
Should think about that.

Luca

--
--> Luca Palmeri - Dip. Proc. Chimici dell'Ingengeria
    Universita' di Padova  TEL: +390498275527 -------