[GRASS5] SOurce code and clustering

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Mon Apr 17 18:34:42 EDT 2000

Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>
> > It would make sense for some modules to utilise more than one process, but
> > this is not completly trivial to do.
>
> Bernhard,
>
>   Local resources include the Oregon Graduate Institute (a private graduate
> school in the middle of the Silicon Forest here) and The Portland Group (a
> high-performace compiler developer), as well as interested individuals in
> the local linux community. This is something I want to investigate because I
> believe that it could be very useful in many simulation or modeling
> situations.
>
> Rich

Hi,

as far as i remember a group from the university of heidelberg
investigated/evaluated this for grass4.x. But the link to the homepage
no longer exists (or i could'nt find it again). See the documentation in
grass4.3/src.alpha/doc_modules_heidelberg (in german!).

If i remember correct they found that it is not possible to run grass on
a multiprocessor system or cluster with reasonable effort. I have no
experience with that, but i think that it is very complicated as the
grass libraries have not been developed with this in mind. Think of map
calculations for raster maps: for some calculations you need the value
for the nth row to calculate the nth+1 row, which will produce
problems/overhead in a distributed enviroment.
I fear that even a multi-processor machine will spent most time waiting
for input/output or memory operations to complete, so that a faster bus
system (e. g. crossbar-architecture in SGIs big irons) will give better
performance than more CPUs.

Only some thoughts,

Andreas
Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de, A.C.Lange at GMX.net