[GRASS5] New makefiles - work in progress, take 'em for a spin

Justin Hickey jhickey at impact1.hpcc.nectec.or.th
Fri Aug 4 11:42:42 EDT 2000

Hello Eric

I was looking into running your Makefiles on our SGI and your instructions to
change a few variables at the end of Platform.make say I need to provide
something for the RANLIB variable. SGI does not have ranlib and the LIBRULE in
our head file is:

LIBRULE             = ar ruv $@ $?; : $@

as opposed to your LIBRULE which is:

LIBRULE             = ar ruv $@ $?; ranlib $@

I have no idea what ranlib does or what the equivalent command on SGI would be.
Do you have any ideas as to what I should set RANLIB to? Should I leave it
blank? It appears that the LIBRULE does not replace it with anything.

Also, why can't GRASS_HOME be GISBASE?

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th