[GRASS5] overwriting

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Wed Dec 20 20:36:25 EST 2000

Hi Markus

Markus Neteler wrote:
> It could be added easily to
> make the module ask: "may I overwrite?" - But: In script mode
> we don't want such questions (or every module needs *another*
> parameter to allow silent overwriting).

This is the ideal solution from a software engineering point of view.
That is, always ask for overwriting, but allow a command line option to
override it. Of course it would be great if we could find a value for
the option that can be consistently used for all the modules. But I have
no idea if that is possible though. I don't know how the command line
parser interprets flags, but if it can only accept single character
flags, then I would say it would be worth changing it to accept multiple
character flags just to implement this feature. Then we could choose
whatever flag we want like -ow or even -overwrite. I'm willing to change
the command line parser if we agree to this and if the parser needs to
be changed.

> I am not sure what we want:
> - change modules to ask for overwriting in both interactive and
>   command line mode

Yes.

> - change modules to ask for overwriting in interactive mode, but
>   silently overwrite in command line mode

No, this mode would defeat the purpose of the warning.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center