[GRASS5] _gtty & _stty errors

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at SierraMaps.com
Sat Dec 9 21:52:48 EST 2000

On Wednesday, December 6, 2000, at 06:55 PM, Jeshua Lacock wrote:

> > > Hi gang,
> > >
> > > Ok, I installed the libncurses 5.2 and it appears that they were already installed
> > because modules that compiled before gave a error stating that
> > "/usr/lib/libncurses.a is out of date; rerun ranlib(1)".  After updating with ranlib
> > the modules that worked before now work, however, I still get the errors with the above
> > modules:
> > >
> > >    /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> > >    _gtty
> > >    _stty
> > >
> > > Which leads me to believe that they must be defined somewhere else.... Where??
> > >
> > > I would really like to figure this one out as it will fix 6 modules....
> >
> > Well, not sure where those get defined, but I find "gtty" and "stty" in
> > libc.a.  I couldn't find those symbols in libncurses.a, libcurses.a, or
> > libtermcap.a -- sorry for the red herring.  You can use "nm
> > /path/to/staticlib.a | grep '<symbol>'" to hunt for where symbols are
> > defined.  See if libc.a has 'stty' (it probably does).  Are you using
> > the --with-USE_TERMIO directive?  If not, maybe it's worth a try.
> >
> > --
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> Where would use the "--with-USE_TERMIO directive"?
>
> It looks like things took a turn for the worst. After installing libncurses 5.2, I now get
> an "Undefined symbols: _winch" error for modules that compiled fine before.  I know that
> winch is defined in both the Apple provided /usr/include/curses.h and the just
> installed libncurses 5.2 /usr/local/include/curses.h.
>
> Note the Apple provided /usr/include/curses.h and the libncurses 5.2
> /usr/local/include/curses.h are different sizes,  Apples: 13.5kb and libncurses 5.2
> is 60.7kb.
>
> I tried "cc -L/usr/include ..." and "cc -L/usr/local/include..." and both attempts
> reveal the same error.
>
> I am really frustrated, and I don't know what else to but *gasp* re-install my entire
> system and reinstall all the libraries and sources.  Which I would hate to do because most
> of beta 9 is now built....
>

> Heeeelllp,
>
> Jeshua Lacock

OK, I'm back after re-installing my system.

It appears that gtty and stty are defined in the header libc.h (which is on my system), however I cannot locate the archive libc.a anywhere on my system.  I suspect that this may be the problem, can someone confirm this?

Does anyone know where to get libc.a?  Would it work if someone emailed it to me (off list, of course)?

Danka,

Jeshua Lacock
Cartographer/Owner
http://SierraMaps.com