[GRASS5] OOP and 3rd party libs

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Jun 9 06:23:44 EDT 2000

I largely agree with Andeas views.
Here a few additions:

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 11:26:52PM +0200, Andreas Lange wrote:
> David D Gray wrote:
> > 1. Most large scale projects in the number-crunching zone,
> > whether they are free software, open source, public domain,
> > or whatever, incorporate some form of the BLAS/LAPACK libraries
> > for efficient linear algebra computations. Am I right in thinking
> > GRASS does not have this? Its presence would take a lot of
> > the burden away from developing separate routines in each module
> > and allow developers to concentrate on GIS specific code.
>
> There is some code named "eigen_tools" (G_tqli, G_tred2), but i do not
> know anything about it. If there is need for such a library, no
> objections.

> > 2. As an extension to the above there is the whole question of
> > linking to Fortran code.

I do not see advantages in using Fortran code.
And I am not aware of functionality that would exclusivly available
with fortran code.

If we need mathematical functions, may http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gsl/
GSL -- The GNU Scientific Library is an option.

> > 5. Finally, what about OOP. DO we want to start developing OOP
> > rouitnes within GRASS itself.

Object orientated programming (OOP) is a way to think and design programs
It is no necessarily connected to the syntax in a language. If you want
you can happily program object orientated in C itself.

But I agree with:
> I personally think that incorporating OOP into an existing system has no
> big benefits.

	 Bernhard
The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)