[GRASS5] GRASS branching

John Huddleston jhudd at itc.nrcs.usda.gov
Tue May 30 11:48:57 EDT 2000

> John is right, one question remains on my side:
> I assume that we need to use branch tags, as some of the source
> code fixed might get merged into the experimental version and some not.
>
> Should we not create one stable branch and use one tag for it?

Tagging a branch means that we can export it out for distribution
or check it out for building.   Once the source is checked out with
a tag, we cannot commit any changes.   In order to commit changes
to the HEAD we must first do a 'cvs update -A'.  If we are working
on a branch, we can commit changes.   For branches, remember the
steps are:

tag it as a branch
update your local copy to the branch
edit, compile, link, test