[GRASS5] Re: Windows grass binaries / GRASS branching

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri May 26 09:51:25 EDT 2000

Hi John,

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 06:19:46AM -0600, John Huddleston wrote:
> I have the
> Grass build system on my M-W box so I will update the system
> and rebuild on Monday.   Here at the Th-F site I have a Solaris
> box and it does not complain about the file name (upper/lower)
O.k., in case you find further naming conflicts, please
let me know.

-------
 [hi all]

Well, concerning branches: I would like to start the
stable branch. What I am thinking of is to add a stable
tag to all stable modules. The rest may stay with unstable
tag.

The only problem is the
src/CMD/lists/GRASS which is parsed for compilation. Either
we have to hold two lists (stable/unstable) or the compile
mechanism needs to be modified to

 1. ignore non-existing modules (as they might not have been checked
    out if the stable version was acquired)
 2. ignore compile errors and proceed, maybe collecting the
    names of uncompiled modules in a log file.

Especially 2. would be of general interest, I think.
If 1. is there, we could modularize the GRASS in a first approach
into smaller, topic-oriented packages.

In fact the best solution would be that the compile script collects
the *existing modules* first, then we would get rid of the
src/CMD/lists/GRASS.

As the scripting mechanism is quite complex (for me!) I am
not shure, if I could manage to modify.

So, what I need:
 - assistance for the points 1. and 2. (see above)
 - hints how to apply the branch tags (I think afterwards)

Thanks in advance

 Markus