[GRASS5] CVS administration

John Huddleston jhudd at itc.nrcs.usda.gov
Fri May 26 07:53:48 EDT 2000

Hi Justin, (et al)

CVS files are stored at 444, or read-only in the repository.  The
repository is setup this way so that no one can accidentally clobber
a file.   The directories in the repository are either set up as 775
or 777 depending on how the administrator chooses to organize
permissions by groups or for all users respectively.  This is
necessary since at checkout, a lock file and a lock directory
are written temporarily.

So, the permissions for your local directory are managed by you
with your 'umask' and other environment processes.   Sometimes
backup procedures change permissions temporarily.  Has there
been an OS change on your system?  In any case, start at the
top and chmod the directories, e.g.

find . -type d -exec chmod 777 {} \;

John Huddleston