[GRASS5] Re: i.ortho.photo - XDRIVER bug detected

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Tue May 23 14:59:52 EDT 2000

Michel Wurtz - ENGEES/CEREG wrote:
> AFAIK, there is no stats about grass functions usage. Since all
> functions are run via a single launcher program (linked to all
> function names), this one can be modified to create a stat log file
> that can be further exploited (perl script) to send the stats to
> some repository site... that can also be a way to know how many peoples
> are actually using Grass.

I don't think that you can conclude from the number of calls of a
function/module to its usefulness. Remember that no one until now missed
m.datum.shift, perhaps for the reason that you do not miss a module if
it is not mentioned anywhere.

There are other methods of feedback than mailing log files to a central
point.
I personally do not trust any software that contacts someone without my
consent.
I think the feedback should come from the users on the grasslist (and
maybe success storys on webpages).

> Does anybody have some idea of that number ?

I would be interested in a number of the grass installations, too, but i
think that this is  generally not known for open software. You never can
be shure how many people use free software. The number of downloads of
souce/binary from a server is always misleading.
But on the other hand, why care. If there are subscribers to grasslist
and you/i do useful things with grass...

cu,

Andreas

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de, A.C.Lange at GMX.net