[GRASS5] Digitizer drivers in v.digit

John Huddleston jhudd at itc.nrcs.usda.gov
Thu May 11 12:50:07 EDT 2000

Bernhard, (et al)

----- Original Message -----
From: Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>
To: grass5 <grass5 at geog.uni-hannover.de>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2000 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: [GRASS5] Digitizer drivers in v.digit

[snip]

> Do you thing we should create a grass tree cvs stable branch?

The question is, should we TAG the code when we release a
stable version. Yes!   Decide on a tagging convention which
is appropriate for you and at the top level of code that you want
to tag you type:

'cvs tag GRASS-VERSION5-DATE-TIME-ETC'

where the tagname GRASS-VERSION5-DATE-TIME-ETC is an example name.

> This way developers could crank away with heavy modifications but
> minor onces need to be worked upon the stable branch?

Yes, anyone needing the code corresponding to that tag could
then retrieve it at any time.

'cvs update -r GRASS-VERSION5-DATE-TIME-ETC bin_digit.c'

 The single quotes are only for this email and not used on the command line.

> I assume that this might be more feasable then having everybody just
> creating branches for local use.

Yes, and you can create tags for subdirectories as well.  When a
particular module is done, the developer can tag that section of
code with his/her own tagname.   Code can always be retrieved
by the revision number since that is by definition a tagname.

John Huddleston