[GRASS5] New initialization code

Robert Lagacé lagace at echo.grr.ulaval.ca
Wed Nov 29 14:26:54 EST 2000

Justin Hickey wrote:

> Hi Markus
>
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> > > If the problem is that $(UNIX_BIN) is being defined as the same as
> > > $GISBASE, then the problem is in configure, not the Gmakefile. If we
> > > can't get a reasonable default for bindir in configure (either
> > > /usr/local/bin - what it should be or /usr/bin - I disagree with
> > > this but if that's the only way ok) then we will have to tell users
> > > to use the --with-bindir option to configure.
> >
> > Hi Justin,
> > I don't fully get  what you dislike, is it that I prefer "grass5" to
> > be stored outside of $GISBASE?
> >
> > From the Linux view I would prefer this way:
> > The average linux user who has a compile should be able to run:
> >
> > configure    # without annoying extra parameters
> > make install
> > grass5
> >
> > This startup script should go somewhere here:
> > echo $PATH
> > /home/neteler/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/games/bin:/usr/games:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/kde/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:.
> >
> > If you would have to copy it manually from $GISBASE/bin to
> > /usr/[local/]bin,
> > that's extra work... Perhaps you think the same?!
>
> Yes we are thinking the same, I agree that grass5 should be in the path.
> Perhaps the confusion is on my part. I was under the impression that you
> thought that since grass5 is put into $GISBASE/bin by default that it
> was a problem with the initialization script placing the grass5 script
> in that directory. I'm sorry if this was the case. It is actually a
> configure problem because in configure, the bindir was not defined
> properly and was defaulting to /usr/local/grass5/bin thus the
> $(UNIX_BIN) variable in the src/general/init/Gmakefile becomes
> /usr/local/grass5/bin. My fix I found yesterday, (and will be committed
> soon) solves this problem.
>
> My disagreement with /usr/bin comes from system administration. Software
> (or executables) should not be installed under /usr/bin since it
> contains vendor supplied programs. The only changes I make under
> /usr/bin is to create links to executables that replace programs in
> /usr/bin. For example, I install the latest Tcl/Tk under /usr/local. I
> need to create a link /usr/bin/wish so that scripts that begin with
>
> #!/usr/bin/wish
>
> will use the new wish command. Anyway, all non-vendor installed software
> should go under /usr/local/bin not /usr/bin. At least that was what I
> was taught about system administration.

We need to know that, on all SVR4 systems such as HP-UX 10 and 11, all
non OS software should be installed under /opt/.  So, Grass would be
in /opt/grass/bin/ and appropriate directories under /opt/grass/.
System admin is simplified because everything is under one directory.

I will test the new configure under HP-UX when I will have time (in two
weeks).

> Are we still not understanding each other? :)
>
> --
> Sincerely,
>
> Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
> High Performance Computing Center
> National Electronics and Computer Technology Center (NECTEC)
> Bangkok, Thailand

Robert Lagacé, professeur
Pavillon Comtois
Université Laval