[GRASS5] r.in/out.hdf

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Nov 21 14:39:52 EST 2000

Hi all,

today I got an announcement of TERRA/NASA data distribution.
Most of these data are distributed in HDF format (some of
them for free like the hyperspectral MODIS).
The letter stated that ENVI would be one of the few
packages to support HDF format.

Of course I remembered GRASS 4.2.1 and the src.garden/grass.hdf/
tree in GRASS 5. I feel we should get HDF active. This would
mean that the r.[in|out].hdf needs an upgrade to HDF 5:

http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/
ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF/HDF5/hdf5-1.2.2/src/

We are all overwhelmed with other stuff, but is anyone willing
to do the job :-) ?

Unfortunately the HDF5 lib would be another 8MB of source code.
But the current src.garden/grass.hdf consumes 27MB.

So a general upgrade would save space. Using my scripts I could
easily remove the old hdf stuff from CVS and check in the new HDF5
libraries. Just let me know. A license file I could find there,
seems to be public domain.

I would like to see GRASS (back) in this list:
http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/tools5.html/
..

Kind regards

 Markus