[GRASS5] Modifying GRASS 4.3

Matt Hillebrand hill9361 at uidaho.edu
Tue Oct 31 20:03:02 EST 2000

Hello.

I was told that I ought to post to this list regarding the modifications I
am making to two GRASS 4.3 programs (r.mapcalc and r.volume).

I'm creating an X Windows program that incorporates the code for r.mapcalc
and r.volume so that these two modules can be called as functions from
within my program. Furthermore, their code will be modified so that they
may receive input in the form of two dimensional arrays in memory. The
output of r.mapcalc will also be an array in memory. The way r.volume
stores its output will remain the same.

This is being done to cater to the needs of my client, a Biological and
Agricultural Engineering professor at the University of Idaho. Currently
he's using shell scripts to execute r.mapcalc dozens of times, and at the
end of his shell script, there are several calls to r.volume. Because of
the frequent disk i/o (and use of compression), my client's
current situation is very, very time consuming.

I'm not sure if this is going to be useful for anyone else or not. I'd be
happy to post my code when the project is completed.

Matthew P. Hillebrand