[GRASS5] Ideas

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Sep 25 05:38:26 EDT 2000

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 11:21:10PM +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 06:54:57PM -0500, Tim Cera wrote:
> > 3) Move GRASS development to Sourceforge - http://sourceforge.net/
> > Marcus Neteler has mentioned at least twice about the amount of time
> > that he spends tracking bugs.  Sourceforge offers CVS repository, bug
> > tracking, mailing lists, web space,...etc. all for free.

Actually, we do have all these things.
Markus spends his time in fixing the bugs
not in the maintaining the bug list.

We decided that it would be less work to not have the overhead of
a bug tracking for now. We might decide otherwise in the future,
and then we add bug tracking.

> SourceForge isn't the solution to everything though.  For very large
> projects, the bug tracking might not scale well, however a recent change
> was made that allows bulk updating of bug status.
>
> In the case of one of the Open Source projects that I lead, Netrek, we
> chose to adopt SourceForge for bug tracking but leave the CVS repository
> in the same place it was before.  Insufficient reason to move, and the
> service from the current place is better; 24x7 pager support.
>
> So there is no reason to move _everything_.
>
> It would be purely up to Marcus, in my humble opinion.
>
> Perhaps a Marcus-local instance of SourceForge software?

This might be interesting.
Up to now we thing that local development resources
(University of Hannover& Intevation) are better under
our control and scale better.

As for moving to sourceforge I do not really like the dependency of
a lot of Free Software Projects on one spot. The sourceforge
privacy policy also was not in place for quite a while (IIRC).

	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)