[GRASS5] Reading Projections

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at home.com
Thu Sep 21 10:17:36 EDT 2000

Folks,

As part of the OSSIM/GRASS bridge project, I would like to implement good
access to the coordinate system of GRASS files.  I have looked through the
GRASS 5 Programmers Manual, but I am still a bit unclear on how I am supposed
to read the full projection information for a raster (cell).   The
G_get_cellhd() function allows me to get the projection number, and zone, but
doesn't appear to have support for additional parameters of complex projections
(like Transverse Mercator's central meridian for instance).  The
G_get_projinfo() call (used by r.proj) appears to get a full set of parameters,
but does so by reading the locations PROJ_INFO and PROJ_UNITS files.  It seems
to me that the location's default projection might be different than the
projection of a particular raster in that location ... is that right?

Finally, I am interested in getting GRASS data samples of as many supported
projections as is practical.   I am also interested in getting datasets
containing a few datum definitions done using the new datum methods in GRASS5.

Best regards,